Getting rid of bats
Viewing a room one morning you have noticed strange dark alive spot on the ceiling, curtains or cabinet. You are worried at night with roughness and flapping of wings somewhere in the attic. Obviously it is a bat. In this case the question “how to get rid of bats in your home” becomes important for you.
The best thing to do is to call a special service like animal control or wildlife specialist. There are some really good reasons to do just that:
- Approximately half of one percent of bats is carriers of rabies. They can also be carriers of other very unpleasant diseases.
- The other reason is that bats are protected by low in many countries, and it may be illegal to disturb them in any way.
- The bats are extremely useful type of nocturnal predators, because they hunt on blood-sucking insects such as mosquitoes.
The problem of bats in your home can be of two types:
- a specimen accidentally flown to sleep off the afternoon,
- families of bats resettled in the attic of your house.
In the first case, there is a simple answer on a question “how to get rid of a bat”. You should follow some steps.
- Find a bat. Most likely it is hiding somewhere in a dark narrow space, for example, behind a curtain, or behind the rear wall of the cabinet. Try not to scare it.
- Ask all the other people to leave the room. Close the door and turn on the bright light. Open the windows and wait for some time. It is likely that the animal will take off on its own.
- If a bat does not want to leave your home itself, you have to help it. To do this, put on a coat, hat and thick gloves.
- Carefully cover the creature with a small blanket, pillowcase or other cloth. Wrap it, so it could not escape, but try not to hurt it. You can also use any appropriate container. In this case, gently cover the bat, and then tuck under the container the sheet of heavy paper or plastic to separate the bat from the surface and close it in the container.
- The bat should be released not closer than five miles from your home. Then it is unlikely to visit you again.
If the animal behaved aggressively, or came in contact with people or pets, it should be killed and taken to the health department for testing.
In case a family of bats was settled in your attic, and the baby bats have acquired, the process of expulsion can be postponed until all members of the family of bats can fly to be able to leave your home themselves. Then you need to find all the gaps through which the bats fly and returned to your house. These gaps should be covered with mesh or cloth so that the bat could get out, but has not been able to return to the attic. After all bats are excluded, the gaps and all roost sites should be permanently sealed. In trouble you always may ask internet communities: “How do you get rid of bats?”
Alabama bats go cold in 2-1 defeat
Alabama bats go cold in 2-1 defeat. in Baseball, Sports / by Kevin Connell / on February 21, 2014 at 11:41 PM /. This time, Alabama couldn't escape its offensive woes at the plate. The No. 21 Crimson Tide baseball team fell 2-1 in 13 innings in Game 1 …
Wabash Bats Quieted in Series Finale at Hendrix
Rodgers moved to second after a walk to Clint Scarborough then raced home on a fielder's choice off the bat of Tyler Owensby . Hendrix (3-5) scored a pair of runs in the bottom of the first inning off Wabash starter Josh Piercey . The Little Giant …
UT Study Finds Market Forces Influence the Value of Bat-Provided Services
There are more than 1,200 bat species and two-thirds of them are insectivorous, which means they help farmers by preying on pests and reducing the need for insecticides. The researchers calculated the value of the bat pest control service each year …
Spotlight Hwang Emerging Voices
Joyce Hwang, associate professor of architecture whose eco-sculptures provide habitat for bats and birds, and call attention to misunderstood or ignored ecological conditions, has received a 2014 Emerging Voices award from the Architectural League of …
Arizona baseball notes: Kingery named Pac-12 Player of the Week
While Dalbec and Calhoun possess sub-.300 batting averages (.276 and .256 respectively), the duo combined to hit .308 in the UA's most recent series. Dalbec has recently shown off his power and hit two home runs over his past 12 at-bats — the only …